The 2023 Prince Albert I Medal: Call for nominations - Reminder
Deadline: 31 March, 2023
On behalf of the 2023 Prince Albert I Medal Award Committee, I would like to kindly invite you to consider and send us your nominations for the recipient of the Prince Albert I Medal for the year 2023.
The Prince Albert I Medal is awarded to a scientist who has made outstanding contributions to the enhancement and advancement of the physical and/or chemical sciences of the oceans.
Nominations must be submitted by email to the Secretary General of IAPSO at firstname.lastname@example.org and in copy to email@example.com.
The deadline for nominations is 31 March, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered.
- The nomination must be for significant work of recognised international relevance in the physical and/or chemical sciences of the oceans, as defined in the IAPSO Statutes and By-Laws. Work in other scientific areas will not be considered, and should not be cited.
- IAPSO does not accept self-nominations. For purposes of definition, nominations solicited by a nominee are considered self-nominations.
- Nominations must come from individuals who are themselves well qualified in the physical and/or chemical sciences of the oceans, and are thus capable of judging the merits of work in these areas.
- Nominations must be "at arms length", i.e., they must be from individuals who are not directly employed by the nominee, and are not otherwise engaged in research of any kind under the general direction of the nominee.
- Nominators are responsible for extracting and editing the material accompanying their nominations. Excessively long attachments may be discarded by the Award Committee.
- Nominations must be signed by the nominator, and must indicate his or her present position and address; if retired, the position last held and the year of retirement must be indicated.
- The Medal will be awarded only once to the same scientist. Previous awardees are not eligible for a new nomination.
- Any unsuccessful nomination in a previous competition may be submitted for the 2023 Medal with updated material, including updated/new letters of support.
The person accepting the Medal is expected to deliver a Prince Albert I Memorial Lecture on an oceanographic subject of his or her choosing at the IUGG 2023 General Assembly in Berlin, Germany. IAPSO will cover the necessary travel expenses for this purpose.
A complete nomination package should include:
- a cover letter which states why the person nominated is worthy of the award (about 100 words - this is essentially a citation);
- the nominee's CV, consisting of 2-3 pages about education, positions, awards, research interests, service to the community, etc., and another 2-3 pages listing the most important publications;
- 3 letters of support.
For more information concerning the Medal, nomination procedure and previous Medal winners, please visit the IAPSO website.
The International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans, IAPSO
CNR-Istituto di Scienze Marine
Area Science Park - Basovizza - Edificio Q2
Strada Statale 14 - Km. 163.5
I-34149 Trieste, Italy
email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com